Write On!!!

9.08.2005

Hurricane Katrina...how has this affected me? Not directly, but indirectly...a lot. Why is this different from 9-11? The South?...maybe. I don't know? But this is what is do know...

I have a photograph I took while in New Orleans last year, just some random shot of vendors and artists on the street...close to Washington Sq. (i think) the colors on the street are so bright and vivid, I bought my first original piece of artwork in the Garden District from a local vampire artist, I had my picture taken with the Naked Cowboy (he in his whitey tighties...me in my huge coat and scarf b/c it was freezing), I received bruises from being slammed in the head by Mardi Gras beads while trying to walk down a very crowded Bourbon Street, I drank the strongest margarita available at Margaritaville...against the wishes of the bartender. I lost my eye glasses somewhere in New Orleans? I veiwed original paintings by Claude Monet at the museum there. I stole a cocktail fork from Laundry's to take home for Maddax. I walked through the amazing Aquarium of the Americas (? name) I saw women show everything for a bead. I saw women show everything standing in a doorway off Bourbon St. for money. I was stopped by a taxi driver and informed to get in the car before I (and friends) got stabbed or murdered..you don't walk the streets of N.O. by yourself at night. I watched people fight for prizes being thrown from floats during the parades on Canal Street. I laughed at the mimes and awed at the artists. Ate the wonderful food and drank the liquor and heard the sounds and voices of the creole culture.

I have experienced an amazing city.

Now, my cousin, is in the same city watching dead bodies float past in contaminated water that smells like feces and decay. Now, I find myself glued to the news. Now, I can't sleep for thinking about this tragic event that is destroying a culture. Now, I ponder on ways to help and ways to make a difference and make things better. Now, I want to drive down there and get all those poor animals left behind.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chris Streeter Davis said...

Aww, what a wonderful post. We had a blast didn't we. We will go back one day too.

9:36 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I regret not going back in April, now.

7:08 PM  
Blogger Chris Streeter Davis said...

I know, I know. I am so glad we have the pictures we have. Wonderful memories.

8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home