Write On!!!

6.04.2005

RAH RAH RAS, KICK 'EM IN THE ....

Okay, Ginger's post has got me stewing about cheerleading b/c until I read Polly's comment I had not thought about cheerleading in soooooo long, and at that time in my life cheerleading was EVERYTHING. I have thought about so many memories surrounding the sport that now I have to blog it. So here is my question to you....What is your favorite memory of cheerleading in junior high? What is your worst memory of cheerleading in junior high? What is your favorite memory of cheerleading in high school? What is your worst memory of cheerleading in high school? Don't worry, if you were not a cheerleader, post anyway b/c regardless, cheerleading is/was a part of your school memories in one way or another and I am sure if you were not a member of the dazzling dozen you probably had a friend that was and she/he influenced their cheerleading on you some how. I mean, that was our job wasn't it?... to enforce our dynamic spirit for our school on EVERYONE. How cute we must have been and annoying all at the same time. I am probably going to have to post this in segments b/c I can see it is going to be very long.

JUNIOR HIGH - 8th Grade
My favorite memory from cheerleading in junior high? Hmmm....7th grade tryouts...I did the Chinese splits. I can't do the Chinese splits...I couldn't do them then and I sure as hell can't do them now. I did them, though...all the way down to the floor and put my hands up for a big RAH RAH. Another favorite...8th grade cheerleading...Bianca was my roommate at camp (I can't remember where we went, though??? LA Tech, I think ), getting to be on top of the pyramids, singing the "The Rose" on the basketball bus, (also falls into my worst memories from cheerleading...) teaching Mandy S. how to do the MC Hammer in Mr. Bill's front yard, Miss Alice, & the "innocence" of cheerleading...before high school.

So far that is all I have time for now...it may seem boring, but I promise it will be better in the high school segments. I could probably do another whole post on the Untold Secrets of Cheerleaders. We could be vicious little creatures, to each other especially. I would probably have to post that on an anonymous blog, though...hmm...you never know.

5 Comments:

Blogger ginger said...

I was never a cheerleader, but I was on the drill team from 6-9 grade junior high squads and in 10th grade on the high school squad. (Then I came to Htown where we didn't have any.)

Best of jr. high was being captain my 9th grade year. We had a smaller squad (10 I think), and we got to do some great stuff!

Worst of jr. high was in sixth grade. We didn't have to try out, so anyone could be on it that year. There were like 35-40 of us, and it was terrible! All our sponsors let us do were "peels" or "ripples" with our pom poms! (pom pons?)

High school best memory - just performing at pep rallies and having everyone yell. Also, I won the first place "drill downs" ribbon at camp. You know, "about face" "parade rest" and all those hokey drill moves. Also our kick routines were phenomenal.

High school worst memory - none of my friends were on the squad with me, and there were some real bitch seniors who loved to say "Seniors sit out!!" and make us sophomores do our routine OVER AND OVER until we were puking or crying. (I was better than some of them, and they couldn't stand it! haha)

I always loved dancing. I took tap, jazz and ballet from the time I was four until I was 15. When I moved to HTown, I didn't know where to take, so my senior year I signed up for jazz and toe(solo...yikes) with Mrs. Jeanie. She KILLED me! Man! Sadly AND thankfully, I had to quit because I got pregnant. My calf muscles were SO thankful!

Damn, you're right... that was a LONG answer! Great post!

5:20 AM  
Blogger Emerson said...

I was a Baskeetball cheerleader for 1 year, my 9th grade year. It was a hoot. I am the type that I try REALLY hard to reach a goal and then I get bored with it. This is what happened with cheerleading. I wasn't the typical cheerleader. I didn't take it very seriously. I don't think I danced the fight song routine right once the entire time. I would get out there and do my own thing!!! Some of my funniest memories were the "funky chicken" (Laura you might know about that if not ask Sarah)pep rallies, and the games!!! I did have a blast but I think it was because I didn't care. Which I am sure pissed people off!!!

8:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think i missed ginger's post! hmmm, i'll have to go back. i did a long post about cheerleading at http://carissabyers.blogspot.com/2005/05/to-those-of-you-who-didnt-know-me-in.html

and since we cheered together you can probably already guess my answers. ha. but i think my favorite part was dancing. my least favorite part was getting kicked off. that and tumbling 'cause i was such an awful tumbler.

and you were an amazing person to cheer with! so much fun, and so good. (sigh) i can still do a toe touch though!

10:56 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I know Carissa. We had a lot of fun, and I think I got kicked off right after you did. Needless to say, the fabulous four didn't make that whole year through. We made a lot of memories that will last a very long time.

7:18 PM  
Blogger ginger said...

Carissa, mine wasn't a post on cheerleading, just summer memories. :)

11:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home